Pages

Sunday 4 September 2016

Change menu icon in Ubuntu Mate

Sometimes you want to change the simple things in Linux, just because you can. In my case, I felt like using Tux as my menu button for a change, so here's how to do change it in any Mate desktop...

  • If you don't have a ~/.icons directory, create it in the terminal with mkdir ~/.icons
  • Navigate to your icon folder (usually in ~/.icons)  
  • Copy your desired icon theme there
  • Open the 24x24 size
  • Open the actions folder
  • Create or replace the png  icon with the name  start-here.png
Sometimes, the icon will be massive and mess up the size of the whole menu bar, to fix this all you need to do is reduce the size of the icon to 24 x 24 px.

Personally, I use the Mist theme which is a nice generic blue set of icons the stands out nicely on my favorite boring grey colour of #222222.

If anyone would like the links, here is the small Tux icon and Mist theme

No comments:

Post a Comment